WHAT IS A PHEV?
Taking the Outlander to the next level is a plug-in hybrid system. The 12kWh system can provide battery-only driving with two 60kW electric motors on board. These electric motors are combined with a 2.0 liter direct-injection four-cylinder gasoline engine providing an extended driving range and higher efficiency than any such vehicle on the road. The added bonus of the standard Super-All Wheel Control system increases traction when it is needed all year round.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE OUTLANDER PHEV?
There are five things customers need to consider when looking at the 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.
- LESS EMISSIONS: PHEVs operate in a full battery mode when driving around town. That means no exhaust emissions. With no tailpipe emissions, it will help clean the air in your neighborhood – and state!
- ZERO-ANXIETY RANGE: Yes, it has a battery and two electric motors on board. But, an Outlander PHEV owner need not worry about running out of juice between charge-ups. The gasoline engine pops on for longer trips – such as a weekend on the North Shore – without worrying about recharging along the way.
- REGENERATIVE BRAKING: Whenever you stop or slow down an Outlander PHEV, it recharges the battery. No need to plug-in every time you are low on battery juice!
- SUPERIOR CAPABILITY: The Outlander PHEV is the only Plug-In Hybrid with Super All-Wheel Control. That means having greater traction when you need it, while returning fuel economy of a smaller sedan. All of this is in one of our popular SUVs!
- LESS GAS: While in EV mode, no fuel is being used. While you are avoiding the charging station, you are also avoiding the fuel pump.
IS THE OUTLANDER PHEV LIKE ANY OTHER OUTLANDER?
It certainly looks like our popular Outlander models. The difference is not just what’s underneath the skin – the PHEV system, battery pack and the dual plug-in charging ports on the passenger side of the Outlander PHEV. It is also an upgrade from our current models.
Outlander PHEV customers will get an updated interior with unique touches. Those will include leather upholstery, a unique transmission selector, upgraded touches all around and a host of standard equipment. The technology offerings will increase, thanks to the updated infotainment that can connect to your smartphone. The same touchscreen also provides information on efficiency and ECO monitoring features.
Another smart feature available on the 2018 Outlander PHEV is the ability to monitor and set your vehicle from your smartphone through our Remote Control app. You can pre-heat or pre-cool your Outlander PHEV, set charge times and other functions inside your vehicle.
The 2018 Outlander PHEV will also be the safest vehicle of its kind available. Advanced active safety features include: Blind Spot Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Forward Collision Mitigation, Lane Departure Warning, Automatic High Beam and a Multi-view Camera System.
DRIVING EFFICIENTLY IN AN OUTLANDER PHEV
You can drive the 2018 Outlander PHEV in three ways. In EV mode, the electric motor takes priority over the gasoline engine. That way, there is no gasoline used – which is ideal for driving in-town. Hybrid mode engages the gasoline engine when it is needed. Though you can drive in EV mode on the highway, the gasoline engine will kick in on longer periods on the road. In both modes, braking or slowing down will regenerate power back to the battery pack.
Unlike most PHEV models, the Outlander PHEV has two charging ports hidden behind the door on the passenger side towards the rear. One is for Level 1 and 2 plugs – using 110- and 220-volt units. The second – and larger – port is for Fast Charging stations, also known as Level 3.
THE OUTLANDER PHEV IS ONE OF THE BEST VALUES AMONG SUVS AND PLUG-IN VEHICLES
The popular Outlander is already a great value. The PHEV starts with a base price of $34,595 – lower than a lot of its plug-in rivals. It also qualifies for a tax credit of $5,836 from the Federal Government and $2,500 from the state of MA, making the 2018 Outlander PHEV a much better value overall. It will come in two trims – SEL and GT.
If the 2018 Outlander PHEV is of interest, contact Walpole Mitsubishi to find out more about the future of Mitsubishi. When the Outlander PHEV becomes available in stock, we can alert our customers to test drive and purchase one.
This will be worth the wait.